As the largest organ of your body (a whopping 16%), skin protects you from harmful environmental elements and helps regulate your body temperature. Are you giving your skin the TLC it needs and deserves? Read on for six simple tips to do just that, and you’ll reap the rewards, from top to toes.
- Say Hi to Citrus Vitamin C is a crucial element to any skin-healthy diet. It helps boost collagen production to keep your skin taut and wrinkle-free. Remember – since your body can’t store vitamin C, you need a daily dose. In addition to citrus fruits, try strawberries, guava and bell peppers (surprise – bell peppers are technically a fruit).
- Consider Olive Oil a Kitchen Staple Make your cooking more skin-friendly by substituting olive oil for other fats whenever you can. Olive oil contains essential fatty acids that help your skin stand up to damage from the sun and stay hydrated. Try using olive oil for sautéing and with a splash of vinegar as a replacement for your salad dressings.
- Repeat After Us: SPF, SPF, SPF Sunburn isn’t the only problem with going out in the sun unprotected. Even a little bit of UV damage each day can add up to aging, dull skin over time. The sun’s intense rays cause age spots and freckles, and it also breaks down the skin’s natural elastin, which means your skin will sag and form wrinkles earlier. Avoid the “high sun” times (10 AM – 2 PM), and when you are outside, wear a wide brim hat and long sleeve when you can, and use all natural sunscreen on your face.
- Don’t Skimp on Sleep You might think you can get by with less, but your skin is begging you for a full eight hours of sleep each night. Your body rebuilds collagen while you rest, and additional blood flows to your skin to create that healthy glow while you’re sleeping. You’ll also avoid dark circles under your eyes when you close them more often.
- Break a Sweat Exercise is crucial to keep your heart strong – and your skin glowing. Anything that gets your heart pumping will also keep blood flowing to your skin, providing extra oxygen and nutrients for healing. Jogging, walking, swimming, hiking, cycling and dancing are all great choices – just get moving.
- Namaste Incorporate some yoga stretches into your pre-bedtime ritual, and you can meet two healthy skin goals at once: You’ll be providing your skin a treat, and you’ll help your body relax to drop off to sleep (which will also be great for your skin). The best poses for radiant skin are inversions; anything that encourages your blood to flow downward into your head and face is a great choice.
By working these simple changes in to your routine, you can get the radiance you so richly deserve. Trust us – when you take care of your skin, it takes care of you.
WELL WITHIN is a plant-based beauty and wellness e-commerce brand. Launched in April 2017, WELL WITHIN takes a holistic approach to skin health and wellness, showcased through content covering beauty, nutrition and lifestyle.